Pantone's Color of the Year is a yearly announcement by the Pantone Color Institute, which selects a specific shade to reflect current cultural and design trends. The selection is highly anticipated by the design and fashion communities and often influences product design and fashion trends for the coming year. For 2023, the Pantone Color of the Year was Viva Magenta 18-1750.
What is Viva Magenta?
“Pantone’s Color of the Year, Viva Magenta 18-1750, vibrates with vim and vigor. It is a shade rooted in nature descending from the red family and expressive of a new signal of strength. Viva Magenta is brave and fearless, and a pulsating color whose exuberance promotes a joyous and optimistic celebration, writing a new narrative.
This year’s Color of the Year is powerful and empowering. It is a new animated red that revels in pure joy, encouraging experimentation and self-expression without restraint, an electrifying, and a boundaryless shade that is manifesting as a stand-out statement. PANTONE 18-1750 Viva Magenta welcomes anyone and everyone with the same verve for life and rebellious spirit. It is a color that is audacious, full of wit and inclusive of all.”.
Viva Magenta x Neon Sign?
To use the Pantone Color of the Year in your Neon Sign designs, follow these steps:
Familiarize yourself with the chosen color: Before incorporating the color, make sure you understand its hue, saturation, and brightness levels, as well as its unique properties and characteristics.
1.Decide on the backboardcolor:
Use a solid color backboard or a uv-printed backboard with a design, of which the main color is based on Viva Magenta with the following matters needing attention.
- Familiarize yourself with the chosen color: Before incorporating the color, make sure you understand its hue, saturation, and brightness levels, as well as its unique properties and characteristics.
- Decide on the role of the color: Consider whether the color will be a dominant or accent hue in your design.
- Use color tools: Utilize color tools such as the Pantone Color Bridge or Pantone Matching System to accurately match the color in your designs.
- Experiment with combinations: Try combining the color with other hues to see how it can work within your design, such as pairing it with complementary or analogous colors.
- Consider the context: Consider the context in which the color will be used, the intended audience, and desired mood or message.
2. Choose the LED Neon cube in the matching color:
Tube color for solid color backboard: If you choose pure Viva Magenta as the backboard color of the neon sign, the color of the neon cube could be White, Yellow or Orange. These colors do a better job of bringing out the Viva Magenta color of the backboard, yet don't attract much attention, and your pattern/logo will have a better lighting effect in these colors. The design of the pattern can be bold and wild so that the neon sign overall would not be too monotone.
Tube color for uv-printed pattern backboard: If you choose the uv-printed pattern for the neon sign backboard and use Viva Magenta as the main color, the neon cube’ color would better be white or red. But the proportion of the neon cube should be less appropriate because your purpose is to highlight the uv-printed pattern. So, you can use a simple border to surround the neon sign, or add white/red lines to the pattern for embellishment.
Remember that incorporating the Pantone Color of the Year 2023 can be a bold and impactful statement in your neon sign designs, so use it with intention and consideration.